A lot of people think that because I bant, I’ve had to give up all the good things. And while this is certainly true in some cases, like traditional baked goods, there are a lot of the finer things in life I still get to enjoy, now I just make sure it’s high fat and low sugar and it’s a go!
My favorite things include coffee, wine and chocolate!
And I can have them all, in moderation, while banting, so long as I follow a few simple rules.
- Coffee is made with full cream milk
- Wine is dry and never sweet and drunk in moderation
- Chocolate, if it’s dark like 70% or higher, is ok on occassion
One of my favorite treats (and note that this really is a treat and not to be eaten daily) is chocolate bark.
And of course, with Food Lover’s Market’s wide variety of nuts and snacks, you can get really creative with this recipe and make a delicious, guilt free snack!
I originally found the recipe in the Raising Superheroes cook book and have adapted it slightly over time.
The recipe I’m sharing today is the original chocolate bark recipe, but with added zing of Himalayan Salt with Macadamia Nuts & Toasted Coconut!!
It’s freaking beautiful! I love how the slightly salty flavor mixes with the bitterness of the dark chocolate and the crunch of the nuts.
- 200g dark chocolate - 70% or higher, I used 99% for this recipe
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate, coconut oil and butter over a low heat.
- Once melted & liquid, toss in the Himalayan salt and stir.
- Toast your macadamia nuts and coconut flakes in a little coconut oil.
- Line a small baking sheet with bakers paper
- Pour the chocolate onto the sheet and spread it out till it's about 1cm thick.
- Toss the macadamia nuts and coconut flakes onto the chocolate, making sure as much of it as possible sticks to the chocolate.
- Either refrigerate and wait for it to set, or if you're impatient like me, pop it into the freezer. It sets pretty quickly this way and will be ready to eat within an hour.
- Once set, break into pieces and serve.
- Store in your fridge or freezer as you'll see the chocolate melts quite quickly.
- Remember this is a treat and should not be eaten daily.
Would you like to win a R500 Food Lover’s Market Voucher so you can try this bit of chocolate heaven?
Use the Rafflecopter entry form below to enter. If you don’t know how to use the Rafflecopter entry mechanism, then read here.
T’s & C’s
- Only entries completed via Rafflecopter will be eligible
- Entrants must be residing within South Africa
- Competition closes on the 24th October
- I reserve the right to disqualify entrants