In collaboration with Food Lover’s Market
A while ago, I treated myself to a slow cooker and it has rapidly become one of my favorite kitchen appliances. I’ve always been a fan of my pressure cooker, but honestly, while the pressure cooker is fantastic for quick, weekday meals, there is something just so super rich and decadent about everything that comes out of the slow cooker.
I’ve started getting more adventurous about what I make in my slow cooker!
Now I’m a huge fan of pork. The meat is high in fat and so very delicious and really, there’s little that beats a delicious bit of tasty crackling! And I’ve been desperate to cook a pulled pork in the slow cooker, but so many of the recipes are laden with sugar so I’ve struggled to find the perfect one!
Then this weekend….. dum…. dum…. dum… DUM!
I hit the jackpot and found the perfect recipe, which I’m going to share here with you today.
Low Carb Slow Roasted BBQ Pulled Pork
- Large Pork Belly Roast
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/3 Cup BBQ Sauce - look for sugar free to keep it low carb
- 1 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat your slow cooker and set the temp to high
- Blend all your rubbing spices together
- Score the skin of your pork belly
- Chop the onion and lay in the bottom of your pre-heated slow cooker and add the bay leaves
- Rub all the rubbing blended rubbing spices into your pork belly
- Place your pork belly on top of the onions and close the lid
- Leave on high to cook for about 6 hours
- After 6 hours, remove the pork belly from the slow cooker & cover with the BBQ sauce
- Put in the oven, close to the element at 200 C for 30 to 40 minutes or until the fat is crackling
- Remove from the oven
- Carefully remove the crackling
- Place the remaining pork belly in a large dish and using 2 forks shred and pull.
- Serve either on it's own with some roasted veg or on a low carb roll with homemade chunky coleslaw.
Would you like to win a R500 Food Lover’s Market voucher so you can try out this delicious recipe?
Simply follow the Rafflecopter entry prompts below to be eligible to win!
T’s & C’s
- The R500.00 voucher cannot be traded for cash.
- Winners of the competition cannot enter again in order for everyone to have a fair chance of winning.
- The competition is open to all South Africans, nationally.
- The competition is monthly.
- Winners will be notified via email
- Competition closes on the 31st January
- I reserve the right to disqualify entries