Domestic Goddess…. not exactly the words I would EVER have thought used to describe me but apparently I have become somewhat of a cooking/baking goddess around these parts. What can I say? I have plenty of time on my hands.
Monday is my baking day and we had a bunch of overripe banana’s in the fruit bowl which I just know that no one, including me, was going to eat, in Ava’s words…. they looked “yucky” so as it was baking day, I decided to make banana bread and I found the most divine banana bread recipe. I’ve had it for a while but rarely have the inclination to bake so haven’t used it much. But it really is a delicious recipe. Not the usually sticky mushy banana bread recipe, this one is just divine. It’s crusty and crunchy on the outside and moist and soft on the inside with not a single trace of stickiness anywhere!
Granted, I did think I’d messed up the recipe after I put the breads in the oven and realized I’d left out the baking soda, but they came out beautifully, so beautifully, I had the courage to wrap one in a brown paper bag and gift it to a friend who’s been having a rough time of late!
So here it is…. the most delicious banana bread recipe… the perfect use for your left over “yucky” banana’s!
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 mashed banana’s
- 3 tablespoons of buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon & 2 tablespoons of sugar to sprinkle over the top
- Cream the butter & the sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla
- sieve and add the remaining dry ingredients
- mix in the banana and buttermilk
- pour into a loaf tin
- sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar over the batter
- bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 45 minutes to 1 hour.