Anyone who has been banting for any length of time will have heard of “Oopsie” bread!
Well, after more than 2 years of banting, I finally got around to making my first batch of Oopsie bread as a tuna melt after I saw my favorite, Diet Doctor, share a post on how to make it. (my feature image is taken from his website)
Guys, it was SUPER easy and SUPER delicious! Seriously, you have to try it. Quick to prepare, tasty and healthy!
I won’t lie, I’m not a great cook and so I did manage to get some egg yolks in with my egg whites and as a result, my egg whites wouldn’t beat up nicely, but after tossing the first round, second round worked perfectly!
Follow this easy recipe to make the perfect Tuna Melt “Oopsies”! You won’t be sorry!
- 3 eggs
- 3½ oz. (100 g) of cream cheese
- A pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon psyllium seed husks
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- For the Tuna Fish Salad
- 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) homemade mayonnaise or sour cream
- 1–2 celery stalks, thinly sliced, 2 oz (60 g)
- ¼ cup dill pickles, chopped, 1 oz. (30 g)
- 1 can solid light tuna fish in olive oil, 5 oz. (140 g)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ garlic clove, pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To Make The Oopsie Bread
- Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
- Whip egg whites together with salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. If you want, add the psyllium seed husk and baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Put 6 large or 8 smaller oopsies on a baking tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the salad ingredients well.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the tuna mix on the bread and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Add some paprika powder or cayenne pepper.
- Bake in oven until the cheese has turned a nice color, about 15 minutes.
- Your Oopsies will rise quite high in the oven, don't panic, they do deflate a bit when cooled.
- Delicious served with a green salad. Makes a delicious lunch or light dinner.