I don’t often post recipes, but I shared my dinner last night and a few people asked for the “recipe”… I use “recipe”in inverted comma’s because I don’t have a recipe for this, which is a firm favorite with both my husband and my kids and best of all, it’s packed with nutritious goodness and no processed crap, so I’ll try to explain as best I can how I make it:
The *secret* veggie sauce:
Literally this is the ONLY way I can get my kids to eat veggies and it does make a beautiful and tasty sauce for any mince dish.
A selection of veggies, for last nights sauce I filled an oven dish with the following:
- Large Roma tomatoes
- A selection of cherry tomatoes
- Robot peppers
- Baby Marrows
- Olive Oil
- Take a large oven dish, grease the bottom with a little olive oil, layer your veggies on the dish and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Splash more olive oil over the veggies and toss them to ensure they’re all coated
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees C for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool slightly and then put them through a blender, including the juices from the tray and blend well till it makes a beautiful, rich, fragrant sauce.
- Set aside – the above usually makes enough that I can also freeze a portion of sauce to use at a later stage.
For the mince:
- Mince of your choice
- Chopped onion
- t spoon crushed garlic
- Salt Pepper
- Veggie Sauce
- In a heavy bottomed pan/pot, heat a little tallow or butter until melted
- Add the chopped onions and garlic
- Cook until the onions become glossy and transparent and the garlic is fragrant
- Add the mince and blend/stir/ crumble until it’s suitably browned
- Add your reserved veggie sauce and salt and pepper to taste
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes
For the topping:
Head of cauliflower
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cup of cream
Steam your cauliflower
Blend in a blender along with the cream, salt and pepper until you get the consistency you want.
Layer your mince in a greased oven proof dish and smooth the cauli mash on top, I also add a little grated cheese on top for some extra fat.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and 180 degrees c.
It is delicious, it is real food, it is healthy and my entire family tucks in every time I make this fool proof meal.