Being a Mom is hard. Being a single Mom is harder. Being a working Mom is hard. Being a single working Mom is harder.
SMILF Comes First Showmax
- SMILF was nominated for Best Comedy and Best Actress at the 2018 Golden Globes
- Based on a Sundance-winning short film – and creator Frankie Shaw’s own experiences as a 20-something mom
- Third biggest comedy premiere on SHOWTIME ever
- Multiple year-end best-of lists, including Deadline, The LA Times and Vogue
- Co-starring Emmy-winner Rosie O’Donnell in her first series regular TV role
- First and only on Showmax
Bridgette Bird is a smart, young single mom living in South Boston who is trying to navigate life with a very unconventional family. As she struggles to make ends meet, she strives to create a better life for her son, Larry, and often finds herself making impulsive and immature decisions. The program is a fresh, raw, and honest comedic look at co-parenting, motherhood and female sexuality. “SMILF” is adapted from Frankie Shaw’s Sundance Film Festival Jury award-winning short film.
I watched SMILF last week and the show made me want to simultaneously laugh out loud and burst into tears. Frankie, the show’s writer and star, has an uncanny way of showing some of the great struggles of single moms, in the most humorous way possible.
SMILF stands for ‘Single Mother I’d Like To F*k’ and is meant to be ironic. “There’s no real room for a woman’s existence in the word MILF,” Frankie told The New Yorker. “By getting inside her life experience, we are in a sense changing the meaning, reclaiming it.”
The show highlights so many struggles faced by women and single mothers. There are so many ironies that you can’t help feeling devastated while laughing at the everyday scenarios that Frankie faces, that as a working mom I could relate to.
The struggle is real. The juggle is real and SMILF brings it to our screens in an incredibly human way. Whether you’re a single mom, working mom, or even just a woman, you will find the show relatable on so many levels.
An absolute must watch, even my husband loved it!
Win A 3 Month Subscription To Showmax
I’ve got a 3-month Showmax voucher to giveaway to one reader who’d like to watch the show. To be eligible to win, simply complete the Rafflecopter entry form below.
- Competition closes on Friday, 23rd March
- Prize is not transferable to cash
- I reserve the right to disqualify spam or invalid entries
- The winner will be announced on social media
- The voucher code will be emailed to the winner