Last night I had a scheduled telephone call with our SW to discuss our adoption and the way forward given that the waiting is taking longer than we anticipated. I guess we had unrealistic expectations going into this for a second time given that Ava was placed with us less than a month after starting the process the first time around.
It was wonderful to catch up with our SW last night. She really has become an extension of our family, like an Auntie whom we love dearly.
The conversation went well and ended with me having renewed hope and trust, faith and belief that it will happen a second time I just don’t know when.
Then our Social Worker blind sided me with a suggestion…..
Actually, make that two suggestions.
The first suggestion is not one we had considered before but having spoken about it, we have decided it is not one we’d like to pursue and that is embryo adoption and using a surrogate. Neither Walter nor I can imagine going back on the treatment roller-coaster and this route would certainly throw us back into dealing with all the high’s and very low low’s of treatment failures, setbacks and disappointments and while it wouldn’t be my body going through it all, it would still be my emotions and I just don’t feel I’m up for facing that again.
The second option involves putting the word out that we’re looking to adopt and seeing if we can’t find our own birth mother. Now for those of you who have been reading my blog for a while will know that we have been down that route before and it did not end well. I discussed our experience with our SW last night and she gave me some important tips when being approached by someone to adopt a baby, which I wrote about on Trinity Heart this morning.
Walter and I have talked about this at length and both of us agree, because having a child is not within the bounds of our control, we need to seize every opportunity that comes our way. And as our SW says … I am like the Mafia, well connected and with a strong on-line presence so I should put my feelers out there and see if we get any bites….
Obviously any future opportunity would be handled solely by our SW as firstly we would never want to put ourselves in a position where we are vulnerable to getting hurt and of course there is Ava to think of. But also because we are only interested in pursuing a legal and ethical adoption.
So dear readers, if you hear of anyone….